Kindergarten registration for children born in 2013 begins on November 1st.
All Kindergarten applicants are required to submit an application to their English catchment elementary school. This includes families who wish to apply for choice programs (French Immersion, Montessori, etc.) and/or a cross boundary placement.
The priority registration period for Kindergarten opened on Wednesday November 1st and closes at 4 pm on Wednesday January 31st. Students who submit an application within this priority period will be accommodated before late applicants. When registering your child please bring:
1. Proof of residence in Vancouver
2. Child’s birth certificate
3. Immigration documentation (if applicable) 4. Immunization records
If you want to apply for a Choice program or cross-boundary, you must first apply to your English catchment elementary school. Applications for Choice programs and cross boundary placements will be accepted in early 2018.
Registering at the Annex or the Main School
Sir Richard McBride School and Sir Richard McBride Annex share one common catchment area. Students who reside within this catchment area (in-catchment registrants) will receive priority for enrolment at one of the two school sites based upon available space.*
When completing a registration form parents will be asked if they prefer the annex or the main school. The district will attempt to accommodate parental preferences for placement, once available space has been determined.
At some sites there may be more in-catchment applicants than available space. In these instances, the following process will be used to prioritize enrolment:
Kindergarten Applications Received Between November 1st and January 31st
- In-catchment Kindergarten registrants who have a sibling who is currently attending and who will continue to attend Sir Richard McBride Annex next year will be enrolled first at their preferred location.
- The names of all other in-catchment registrants will be entered into a random draw for the remaining Kindergarten spaces. Students will be registered at their preferred location as space permits.
- Students who cannot be accommodated at their preferred location will be accommodated at the location that has space and placed on waitlist for their preferred location in the order in which their name is drawn.
- Between January 31st and the second Friday in June (when school organizations are finalized), students on the ordered waitlist will be offered spaces at their preferred location as space becomes available. This waitlist will remain active until September 14th , 2018.
It is important that you register your child for Kindergarten between November 1st and January 31st.
* Available Space includes physical capacity, resources, staffing, or educational programs available or planned for a school as defined by the district. (Policy Regulation JECC-R)
Kindergarten Registrations Received AFTER January 1st:
All in-catchment Kindergarten applications received after January 31st, will be registered at their preferred location, if there is space, or added to the bottom of the existing waitlist for their preferred location and registered at the location that has space to accommodate them.
Please Note: There will be no priority given to registrants with siblings already attending Sir Richard McBride Annex if they register after January 31st.
For more information on kindergarten registration visit: http://www.vsb.bc.ca/kindergarten http://www.vsb.bc.ca/kindergarten
What happens if the school cannot accommodate all in-catchment Kindergarten applicants?
In the event that the school is unable to accommodate all in-catchment Kindergarten registrations for the 2018-19 school year, the district will identify an alternate school placement for these students. Students who are placed at an alternate school location will be offered a space, when one becomes available, back at McBride Annex based on their numbered order on the waitlist.
When registering your child please bring:
- Proof of residence in Vancouver (Tax Assessment/Rental Agreement)
- Child’s birth certificate
- Immunization records/Care Card
For more information on Kindergarten registration please visit: http://www.vsb.bc.ca/kindergarten
Cross Boundary Applications:
Due to the large number of in-catchment kindergarten students it is very unlikely that McBride Annex will be able to approve any cross boundary applications, including those from students with siblings already attending, for the 2017-18 school year.
Cross boundary applications received will be waitlisted until the end of June, at the earliest, in order to ensure all in-catchment registrants can be accommodated. In the unlikely event we are able to enroll a small number of cross boundary students, those who have siblings already attending (who will be attending concurrently) will be enrolled first.
The cross boundary application process opens on February 1st and closes on February 28th. No early or late applications will be accepted. Please note cross boundary applications within equivalent groupings will be accepted by draw not by date and time of application.
Should you have any concerns or questions please contact Ms. Thompson, Vice Principal of McBride Annex.